Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Body Language Speaks Louder Than Words!

Previously, I was sharing on the importance of being a good listener and this time it will be about body language which particularly most of us would apply in our everyday life. Body language could also mean nonverbal communication that we use to deliver messages that are not written, spoken or sounded with or without intention. Sometimes, we use nonverbal cues to replace word or a spoken message such as through facial expressions, eye contact, gestures, clothing and even the tone of our voices. Take a look at the picture above, the girl’s facial expression and the way she folded both her hands, it indicates that she is angry without having to say it out. According to the chart below, it shows that nonverbal inputs comprise 55% during communication.


How true do you find that when you are in anger, your body language could be seen obviously showing that you are angry? Speaking for myself, I find it very accurate. As for me, when I am pissed off with something or even with someone, I tend to be quiet as though everything is fine but my body language shows otherwise. It is noticeable because I would be frowning, my tone is different and I am acting impatiently. For instance, there are many incidents especially when I am behind the wheel where my auntie’s would confront my ways of driving and I could not agree with her comments. I shall include our conversation as written below.

Dialog between my auntie and me when I am driving:

Catherine: (Dangerously overtaking a lorry in front at the trunk road.)

Auntie: Catherine, it is not wise to overtake the lorry when you cannot see the front view clearly. It could cause accident! On top of that, it is not advisable to overtake on double-line.

Catherine: The lorry is crawling like a snail!

Auntie: You should be more patient and wait till the view is clearer before overtaking it.There is no need to rush.

Catherine: Yeah right!

Auntie: You see, say you a little bit you angry already.

Catherine: I am not angry lar! (Answering with irritating tone)

Auntie: I am just advising you, there is no need to be so reactive.

Catherine: I said I am not angry!

Auntie: But your body language shows that you are.

Catherine: (Start muttering and stepping on the accelerator to increase the speed)

Based on the conversation above, you can identify that although verbally I denied that I was not angry but my nonverbal behaviors proved to be the opposite. This again shows that body language speaks louder than words. People tend to believe more on the body language they perceive compared to the verbal messages they receive by observing somebody when communicating.

Nonverbal communication can be complicated as everyone perceives nonverbal messages with different perspective. We should learn to be aware and mindful of nonverbal messages by opening our mind and not to jump straight to conclusions. Be knowledgeable about how others communicate nonverbally as everyone comes from different culture. Lastly, learn the skills on how to send and receive nonverbal messages and incorporate them with verbal messages you are going to convey.


Enjoy these interesting Body Language Videos


8 comments:

  1. Nice video ..LOL..
    thank for sharing~

    About the nonverbal communication,
    as your friend, ur body language quite obvious when u are angry. But, other people wont know except those who are close to you.
    Hehe...

    Somehow I think that this is your truth personality. You wont said it out when you are angry. You prefer using body language to ignore everything that annoyed you.

    So, as a friend, lover or whatever....
    we should sensitive to the things that surrounding us. We should observe and understand every single body language.
    That is not overthinking, for me, it is kind of behavior that we are trying to understand our friends, family, lover and even lecturer.
    Hehe.. Be a good observer @@

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea~I agree that the body language is more obvious than what the words from our mouth. I do care about others' body language because it really meant it.I trust the body language than what I listen to.haha....

    ReplyDelete
  3. grace: LOL, you knoe me well grace:)Agree with you, we ought to be observant.

    elisha: Yes, we can count on the body language if we can't understand what the words really mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Body language and tone of voice are important aspects of communications. Anger, disappointment and affection may not get across effectively. That is why emails may not be the best mode of communications depending on the circumstances. Especially if you are communicating bad news or sensitive information, face to face is important. If face to face is not possible, try sending an email and following up with a phone call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsk tsk tsk. Cat Chew... Now I noe u so bad wan. Dont follow ur auntie's advice. Increase speed some more. Haiz... LOL.

    No need to say. Body language is VERY interesting. Once you've become observant and are good in observing body language, you'd feel as if you can understand another language! The more able you are in deciphering body language, the more penetrating you'd become.

    And I just LOVE to be like that. *grin*

    Besides observing this thing, you should also learn to control your own. To do that, you must first practise mindfulness. Be aware of your own state of mind at all times. Then only you can gain control. After you can control it, show only what you want others to know.
    If I want you to know I'm angry, I'd make sure you know it! If I don't want you to know I'm angry, I'd make sure you don't know it. XD

    Body language means a lot in communication. That's why it's dangerous to guess other people's emotions in SMS and e-mail and wherever others' faces can't be seen. We'd most probably get them wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..i didnt know u macam so easily get angry one le...luckily to your future wife me la... :D haha! drive safely ok!? and yea, i think chinese uses nonverbal more one lo...cause we tend to pretend and act according to what society wants us to be, we try to be in good manners and so fort...so yea :) wat do u think? anyway, mayb not just chinese, malays indians too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. opps, typo error.. i mean "not to your future wife me la".... forgot the word "not".

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, i can be quite impatient when comes to driving future wife:P haha, ok will drive more safely..i'm not so sure if chinese uses more of nonverbal then other races, perhaps we can find out?:)

    ReplyDelete