Friday, July 16, 2010

Do you belong to a group?


The Elvis Team^^


Do you know what small group communication is? What are the types of groups? In my understanding, small-group communication involves a small number of people, usually engaged in face-to-face interaction, actively working together toward a common goal. The types of small group communication depend on the purpose of the group. What I have learnt is there are three types of teams. There is the learning group which involves sharing and seeking information. Also there is the self-maintenance group that inspires desirable attitudes, understanding as well as using communication patterns. Lastly, is the problem-solving group that would make decisions based on problem.


I believe all of us have worked in groups before which I always do. I would say I am fortunate to have a good group for assignment purposes. Although each of my group members carries different personality but when we work together, we work in unity. We have never quarreled so far. We discuss together whatever problem that exist and solve them out. Not only that, we respect each other and show understanding. As a group, each member must be able to communicate freely and openly with all of the other members of the group. Furthermore, I feel the key leading to successful team work is to compromise. I have seen many groups in great conflict before. Based on my observation, the reasons causing the clash are due to lack of communication and refusing to compromise.

People join groups for a variety of reasons. No matter what the reason could be, once you join the team, you should be committed and play your role well. Most companies and organizations have people working in small teams. This has been found to be more effective and productive than a single individual toiling away at a project. When you have three or four more people working on an issue, you have the advantage of having access to more ideas and solutions for the project, of having more checking safeguards against any flaws in the plan, and of being able to establish more network connections.

Cat&Dog Team


Can't believe this is the last post already. I would like to thanks to all readers who have been supportive to my blog. Although I will be stop blogging for some time but doesn't mean I stop completely. I would still update you guys with interesting facts and experiences in future. Wait for me. Bye!

~ENDS~

7 comments:

  1. When I read the title. I thought u will talking about we are belong to certain ethnic group or.... Haha...

    Personally, I prefer working myself rather than working with others.
    1st reason: My perfectionist personality always made my other group members even more tension.
    2nd reason: When we meet new group member, who is not always in same group with us. Both of us have using different ways to solve problem, different way to communicate and even different working style. Hence, sometimes I hated to work with new member because need time to let the person know how is it our normal working style and I also need longer time to observe the person.

    Besides communication and compromise.
    Commitment also very important.

    Without commitment, how we trust each other?
    Without compromise, how we work with each other?
    Without communication, how we work together to get the job done?

    How to work within a group is really a big knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. ELVIS TEAM IS AWESOME ~~

    support support XD ~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, agree with you that working with new members is not easy because we so used to the same group people but we still have to work with new members sometimes right? It's unavoidable.

    Wow, 3C: Commitment, compromise, communication lol

    Thanks for commenting^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice cat and dog teamwork. =)
    wish to group with you both next time too.
    there might be many things to learn from you all.

    -cheryl-

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya... i agree that it is not easy group with the new group member, coz, there might have some conflict....

    for me, i am more comfortable with the same group member....

    of have a choice, of course, i will more prefer doing the thing by myself.^^

    Chee Sim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Effective work groups are essential to any organisation. And unless you are Robinson Crusoe, consider working well in a group an essential life skill.

    School prepares us to some extent but the rest is learning on the job. Think of life as a journey where we go in and out of groups, and at times we belong to more than one group at one point in time. I can be in a work group, a fellowship, and even a tour group, all in the same week.

    ReplyDelete