Friday, July 16, 2010

I am a stage fright freak!


Have you ever had to give a speech? Do you remember that feeling? A knot in the stomach, sweaty palms and a panic attack! I do and it happens very often somehow. I am never a front person. I dislike talking in front of too many people. I have had a few bad experiences when presenting in front a large crowd of people. These unpleasant experiences haunt me still. Even until now I still couldn’t able to erase them off my memory storage. By the way, I have good long term memory storage. I could remember everything that happens arouns me even the incidents have occurred ages ago. But strangely enough, I hardly can remember anything when comes to lectures I have learnt in classes. I still wonder why.

Like I said earlier, I am not comfortable having to stand forward to present while everyone is looking at me. I tend to be extremely nervous, tense and panicky. I would start getting anxious and under stress a few days before the day of presentation itself. I am actually going through what is known as situational anxiety which is one of the obstacles to Communication. Situational anxiety is defined by factors that exist during a specific speaking situation. For example, the crowd is the factor that causes me to feel scared.

Let me just share with you the two bad experiences I went through in my previous presentations. The first one happened when I was in Standard Three. I was asked by my teacher to participate in a story telling competition. At that time, I didn’t know that I actually very scared to present until I was on the stage. I remembered I could memorize the whole speech perfectly but when I was up there presenting, I forgot everything. I couldn’t even greet the audiences. I managed to utter a few words and sentences and the rest I got stuck with ‘em’, ‘aaa’, ‘er’. The worst thing was I stood on the stage for 10 minutes! All the audiences were laughing their heads off. I then quickly ended the speech with ‘terima kasih’. I felt so embarrassing but I did not cry, probably I was too young too feel that emotional.

However, I cried for the next experience though which happened to me in Form Two. This incident that took place in church where I supposed to lead in the singing session for my youth group but unfortunately the musicians who supposed to assist me couldn’t make it. Then I asked helped from another youth but to my surprised he replied, ‘You play the music yourself lar’. I said to myself, ‘Hello? I can’t play the piano that’s why I need your help!’ Anyway, I somehow managed to get someone else to play the guitar instead. After that, I started to lead the group to sing. Half way through, the same fellow who rejected helping me, started laughing at me with his gang. I was so hurt and disappointed. The incident had affected me badly since. I was so upset that I stopped attending youth fellowship completely.

Some people may think it’s a small matter but to me it wasn’t. The feeling of hurt and disappointment was hard to forget. It literally diminished my confidence. After what happened, I would avoid any chances to go out to speak. I told myself not to present anymore if possible but things are different at college. We have dozens of presentations to do as they are graded. Now I have got used to the idea of presenting and through the many practices, I have better confidence than before. Nevertheless, I’m still working on to manage my anxieties.





9 comments:

  1. Now, I only know you always lack of confidence is because of the TWO BAD EXPERIENCES.

    Ok, I am glad that you know the main cause of the problem. Yet, since you found the cause, I believe you can solve the problem also.

    Although take a long time to handle stage fright, as long as you try, you can get rid of it in one day.

    Honestly, I believe everyone have their own unsatisfied presentation experiences.
    I do not have much presentation experiences during my primary and seconday school.

    But, I started giving speech after entering college.
    Same as you, I am taking communication. We always need to present in front of coursemates.

    The first time I present in front of you is PUBLIC SPEAKING. Surprisingly, I was not as nervous as my second speech. My friends said: "You look confidence". Of coz myself, I know that I was shaking during that time. LoL.

    Now, I am in third year. Seriously, I almost forgot the 1st year, 1st speech feel.
    Although I still nervous during presentation, but I already get used of it. I know that JUST DO IT, JUST SHOW WHAT I ALREADY PREPARED.

    For me, I can lost everything except confidence.
    CONFIDENCE is very important and valuable for us. No one can take our confidence away.

    Confidence is like our motivator. It fueled us to move, to stand in front and believe yourself completely.

    COnfidence is like OUR OXYGEN.
    Without confidence, your presentation confirm DIE. This ie because, if the speaker doesnot believe himself/herself, how he/she to persuade and influence the audience?

    Confidence is the best way you show your special to the audience.

    Am i right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be tough girl.
    Always supporting you.

    -cheryl-

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry, u have us, to stand behind u (support u), u won't fall down so easy. Gambateh! hahaha!!!^~

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all get better with age...I am shocked that you still remembered your childhood presentation...the vivid details...no wonder it has such great effect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have nothing to worry about, cat.
    you present well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I wasnt at the class.
    But, Cat.
    Always have faith on yourself.
    You are the best~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace: You are right! Confidence is too valuable to lose. Just want to say thank you very much grace cox actually many times, i feel much more confident whenever you encourage me.Thx buddy

    Cheryl&anonymous: Thanks for supporting^^

    Miss Allison: Haha, well yeah that was something hard for me to forget, that's why until now can still remember. Thanks,will try to work on it.

    Abelene: Thanks sweety, you too never fail to encourage whenever i have presentations. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...you have friends who really support you! Put that bad experience behind you...and remember the good ones!

    Ask Abelene and Nico for some good advice....or you can take Mr Ilyas's class...he speaks so well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Ms.Allison:) Will put the bad experience behind and improve instead. Thx for the advice^^

    ReplyDelete